Rev. Stanley Stiver, Pastor Emeritus, May 10, 2007
As part of the 120th anniversary of St. Mark's Lutheran Church, the congregation honored the Rev. Stiver as Pastor Emeritus on May 10, 2007.
St. Mark's began in 1887 with small gatherings of people worshipping in houses and under the large oak trees. This part of North Carolina is unusually Lutheran due to the number of German immigrants who moved to the area in the 18th century.
During the worship service, Glenn Morrison, mayor of Claremont, proclaimed June 10, 2007, Pastor Stanley and Jane Stiver Day. Morrison spoke about the accomplishments of Rev. Stiver during his 31 years as pastor. These included expanded telephone service to Claremont and other communities (within the county, Hickory used to be a long distance call), establishing the annual holiday parade, initiating the multi-church Thanksgiving eve worship services, incredibly productive blood drives, and encouraging leadership within the community. Seventeen years earlier Mayor Joseph M Chandler had declared September 30, 1990, Stanley L. Stiver Day for his "extraordinary participation in the civic and religious organizations of Claremont that has contributed to the progressive development of the City of Claremont."
Pastor Scott H. Bollinger dedicated the new windows in the parish hall. On special occasions, the windows will house crosses donated by the Rev. Stiver.
A reception followed the service. Among the memorable events that day were the opening processional with Callie Shelar playing "Holy, Holy, Holy" on bagpipes.
A second service took place on October 7 at St. Mark's. The Rev. Stiver delivered the last sermon of his career that day.
Much of this Biography is from a short history of his life that the Rev. Stiver wrote in the 1990's for his sons, which he called The Brief History of the Stivers.
Back to Top