St. Luke's Lutheran Church, corner of Onzaga and N. Rocheblave, New Orleans
St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church (New Orleans): 1947-1951
The Rev. Stiver's first call was to St. Luke's in New Orleans. He has many fond memories from this time.
The congregation later moved outside of this neighborhood. The church building became Mount Calvary Church of God in Christ and survived Katrina.
St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church (Wheeling), 141 Kruger Street
St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church: 1951-1959
St. Mark's in Wheeling reflected the social changes after the war. Rev. Stiver remembers a great deal of activity.
These were growth years in Wheeling, just after World War II. Many people were moving to the city. St. Mark's had a phenomenal growth. In these eight years, the congregation doubled from 600 to 1200. Our average attendance on Sundays with our two services were between 500 and 600. One year WWVA radio broadcast our Sunday morning services.
Located at 141 Kruger Street, St. Mark's celebrated its 90th anniversary in 2007. The building has been greatly remodeled since the fifties.
St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church (Claremont)
St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church: 1959-1990
St. Mark's is a large congregation in a small town in the beautiful piedmont area of North Carolina. Claremont's citizens totaled around 800 people when Rev. Stiver first arrived in 1959.
On the first Sunday in July, 500 people attended the worship service for the installation of the Rev. Stiver by Rev. Robert Eibling, a classmate from his seminary class. This was a festive occasion. Thirty-one years later, 700 people appeared for his last Sunday on September 30, 1990.
In college, he had been active in many different organizations. As a young man, he had help found a civic organization in New Martinsville, West Virginia. In Wheeling, he had been active in Kiwanis and had coordinated interfaith services for the metropolitan area. In Claremont, his community activities had an even greater impact. His efforts led to improved utilities in the form of expanded phone service; to community pride, such as the annual holiday parade; and to developing leadership within the community, through the founding of the Jaycees. One of the memorable slogans for the community development efforts is, "The little town with the big go."
On June 10, 2007, as part of the 120th celebration of its founding, St. Mark's recognized Rev. Stiver as Pastor Emeritus, a title conferred on a few ministers upon their retirement to recognize their outstanding service. On October 7, he delivered the sermon, remembering his years at the church. Crosses donated by him to the church for display on special occasions in the new parish hall windows were dedicated during the service.
Ebenezer Lutheran Church, 1001 Shiloh Church Road, Catawba
St. Paul Lutheran Church, 629 2nd Ave SW, Hickory
Retirement Ministries: 1991-presentAfter retirement from St. Mark's, the Rev. Stiver moved to Hickory and served as extended interim pastor at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Hickory from 1991 to 1996 and for a time at Ebenezer Lutheran Church near Catawba. From 2000 to 2009, he was visitation pastor for St. Andrew's Lutheran Church in Hickory.
For over 12 years, he facilitated bereavement support groups for Pathways.
Back to Top